Rowan Pereira, Project Intern, Stonehill College ’19
Monday (10/15): I’ve printed out both the TAPAS version and the pdf version of the 1696 edition of Doctor Faustus, and edited the first half of the document. Since this document was a little easier to read, there are fewer spelling errors. The only thing that keeps coming up is that students didn’t always use the long s when they were transcribing. I think this can be attributed to the fact that students would read the word in the pdf, then misspell it in their heads before typing it. It’s easy to do, seeing as I did it twice when I was encoding the two missing pages of text. It’s nothing that couldn’t have been fixed with peer editing or even double-checking a student’s own work, but when you’ve been staring at a document for an extended period of time, it’s easy to assume you know what the rest of a word is, or to assume you know how to spell a word with a special character.
Update: I’ve finished going through the text, and will work on the code tomorrow. Hopefully I’ll be able to finish that by tomorrow and have the newly revised code up by tomorrow!
Tuesday (10/16): The code is now edited and up on TAPAS. I’ve also taken another step ahead and put the persName’s as well.